Cleopatra Hotel

The hotel was originally called the Crown and Thistle. Captain E H Fothergill leased it from the owners Pearse and Owston in May 1881, renovated the premises and named them after the Cleopatra, a ship he owned. The hotel reopened July 1st 1881. It had an attractive garden and tile paved path and a sign showing the ship Cleopatra in full sail. Captain Fothergill remained proprietor until 1896. The building was demolished in 1906. Architect J H Eales designed the new Cleopatra Hotel on the site of the original. Work was completed in August 1907. More than $50,000 was spent on renovations in 1985 and the hotel was renamed ‘The Auld Mug Tavern’. The name has since reverted to Cleopatra.



Cleopatra Hotel