P & O Hotel

The P&O Hotel was opened on July 1st 1901, and remained a popular family hotel for many years. It originally consisted of one bar, stables at the rear and high-class accommodation upstairs. Most of the façade facing High Street was occupied by a number of shops and restaurants. In 1938 the hotel had a major interior upgrade and two extra bars were added. In the 1950s the impressive two-storey verandah was demolished and replaced with an ugly awning. It was a very popular ‘watering hole’ for the huge number of waterside workers through to the 1970s. As the shipping industry declined, so did the P&O, and by the 1990s it was in a sorry state. In July 2000 the University took out a lease for 21 years and later that year began a significant refurbishment. Work was completed in February 2001 when the first intake of Study Abroad students arrived to take up residence.



P & O Hotel