Dr Daniel Baldino
Senior Lecturer. Discipline Head of The Politics and International Relations program.
Phone: 9433 0127
In 2000, he was a Research Associate at the Library of Congress, Washington DC. In 2005 he was a visiting scholar at the Program in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security (ACDIS), University of Illinois, USA and in 2007 at the Security and Governance Program, East-West Center, Hawaii, USA. In 2015, he will be a visiting scholar at the University of Carleton, Ottawa.
He has produced numerous books and articles. His edited book (with Langlois, A and Carr, A) Controversies in Australian Foreign Policy: the core debates, published in 2014 by Oxford University Press, was the winner of the Australian Institute of International Affairs' inaugural publication grant.
He is also the Western Australian chapter convener for Australian Institute for Professional Intelligence Officers (AIPIO).
Australian Foreign Policy
Human and Environmental Security
Terrorism and Intelligence
Strategy and Diplomacy
- Intelligence, Policing, Surveillance and Spycraft
- Australian Foreign and Defence Policy
- Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism
- Critical Security Studies including information security
Research and engagement
- Baldino, D, Langlois, A and Carr, A, 2014 Controversies in Australian Foreign Policy: the core debates, Oxford University Press.
- Baldino, D (ed.), 2013 Spooked: the truth about intelligence in Australia, UNSWPress.
- Baldino, D, Lundberg, D, Pietsch, J and Rees, J, 2011 Contemporary Challenges to Australian Security, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Baldino, D (ed.), 2009 Democratic Oversight of Intelligence and its Challenges, Federation Press, Melbourne.
- Baldino, D, 2015, 'An intelligence perspective' in Lesson, R (ed.), Hayek: a collaborative biography, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Baldino, D, 2008 'The National Interest in a Global Era' in Aulich, C and Wettenhall, R (eds.), Howard's Fourth Term, University of New South Wales Press, Sydney.
- Baldino, D, 2006 'Australia and the World' in Aulich, C and Wettenhall, R (eds.), Howard's Second and Third Governments, University of New South Wales Press, Sydney.
- Baldino, D and Carr, A, 2015, 'An Indo-Pacific norm entrepreneur? Australia and defence diplomacy', Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, Vol.11, no.1.
- Baldino, D and Gould, J, 2014 'Iran and the Emergence of Information Communication Technology: The Evolution of Revolution?', Australian Journal of International Affairs, Vol. 68, no.1.
- Baldino, D, 2014, 'Book review: New engagement: contemporary Australian foreign policy towards Africa', Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, Vol.9, no.3.
- Baldino, D, 2012 'Book Review: US-India Strategic Relations', Journal of South Asian Development, Vol.7, no. 1.
- Baldino, D and Drum, M, 2012 'Community-based policing as an alternative to 'stop and search'?, Public Policy, Vol. 7, no.2.
- Baldino, D and Drum, M, 2012 'Extended 'Stop and Search' Powers in Australia: A challenge for relations between police officers and citizens', GSTF Journal of Law and Social Sciences Vol. 2, no. 1.
- Baldino, D, Drum, M and Wyatt, B, 2010 'The Privatization of Prisoner Transfer Services in Western Australia. What can we learn from the Ward case?', Australian Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 69, Issue 4, December.
- Baldino, D and M, Situmorarg, 2014, 'People smuggling and Australian Security: an Indonesia perspective', Public Policy Network Conference, The University of Canberra, January.
- Baldino, D, 2010 'The Rudd government and national security: continuity or change in the war on terror?', The Oceanic Conference on International Studies (OCIS), The University of Auckland, New Zealand, July.
- Baldino, D, 2010 'Accountability and Control: The Politics of Security Privatisation', Australian Political Studies Association, The University of Melbourne, September.
- Baldino, D, 2007 'Good Instincts or Poor Judgment? Australia's counter-terrorism response after 9-11', Australasian Political Science Conference, Monash University, Melbourne, September.
- Baldino, D, 2006 'The Politics of Alliance Management – the future of ANZUS', 57th British Political Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Reading, UK, April 5
- Baldino, D, 2005 'The Rehabilitation of Natural Law: Needless Metaphysics or Serving the Common Good?' in International Journal of the Humanities, vol.2, no.2.
- Baldino, D, 2003 'Democracy assistance and the Clinton administration's strategy of selective opportunism', Australasian Political Science Conference, University of Tasmania, Tasmania, September-October.
- Baldino, D, 2014, 'First rule of fighting terrorists: don't do their job for them' in The Conversation, 2014: A year in the life of Australia, Future Leaders Press.
- Baldino, D, 'Calm Down, Australian spy agencies are just doing their job' in The Conservation, November, 2013.
- Baldino, D, 'NSA leaks raise questions about spying priorities', The Lowy Interpreter, November, 2013.
- Baldino, D, 'Anonymous and National Security', The Strategist, November, 2013.
- Baldino, D, 'FactCheck: are Interpol red notices often wrong?' in The Conversation, July, 2013.
- Baldino, D, 'Not so smart: the Coalition intelligence review repeats old mistakes', in The Conversation, June, 2013.
- Baldino, D, 'Is Australia at risk from Green Terrorists?', in The Conversation, April, 2012.
- Baldino, D, 'The politics of fear: Why haven't counter-terrorism laws changed?', in The Conversation, April, 2012.
- Baldino, D, 'The strategic friendship: Australia caught in the middle of Obama's ambitions' in The Conversation, November, 2011.
- Baldino, D, 'Cloak and Dollar: How much do security agencies really need?', in The Conversation, November, 2011.
Member, American Political Science Association (2006 - present)
Member, Australasian Political Studies Association (2002 – present)
- Baldino, D, 2014, 'Whither the Australia-US Alliance?', Interview in Policy, vol. 30, no. 1.
- Baldino, D, 2012, 'Australia a Key Component of US Asia-Pacific Posture', Future Directions Strategic Analysis Paper, April.
- Baldino, D, 2006 'Problems of Order, Security and Identity in an Era of International Terrorism' in Hawke Working Paper Series, no. 34, The Hawke Institute of Sustainable Societies.
- Baldino, D, 2004. Ph.D.: From Containment to Enlargement – The impact of the expansion of democracy on US grand strategy and international security under the Clinton administration.
- Baldino, D, 2000 'Australia: Domestic Developments and Relations with the United States', CRS Report for Congress, Congressional Research Service, Washington DC, October 12.
- Baldino, D, 'Reviving the Domino Theory' in Eureka Street, vol.17, 8. 2007.
- Baldino, D, 'David Hicks' rights under natural law' in Eureka Street, vol.16, 8. 2006.
- Baldino, D, 'Clash of Civilizations rhetoric distorts cultural differences' in Eureka Street, vol.16, 6. 2006.
- Baldino, D, 'The Flowering of Fig-Leaf Democracy' in Evatt Papers No.1, December 2003.
- Baldino, D, 'The Rise of Anti-Americanism' in The Diplomat Vol.1, no. 5, December 2002.
- Baldino, D, 'Clinton's Selective Memory' in Arena Magazine No. 63, February – March 2002.