Dr Shane Lavery
BA, BLitt, BEd (Hons), MEd, MA (Theol Studies), EdD
Associate Professor, Coordinator of Post Graduate Studies
Phone: 9433 0173
Undergraduate: Service-Learning, Ecological Education, Social Justice
Educational leadership, Student leadership, Service-learning, Ecological Education,, Religious Education
Graduated Research Students
- Datta Roy, S. (EdD, 2016). Contextual experiences of overseas trained teachers before and after obtaining a teaching position in a public secondary school of Western Australia and South Australia in reference to their cultural perspectives
- Holmes, C. (MEd, 2016). The introduction of Montessori teaching and learning practices in an early childhood classroom in a remote indigenous school
(Dr Glenda Cain co-supervisor)
- Glasson, S. (PhD, 2014). Developing tomorrow’s school leaders: The Western Australian Catholic Education Aspiring Principals Program
- Sayce, D. (EdD, 2014). What are the professional and personal needs of beginning Western Australian Catholic school principals during the first four years of their appointment?
- Hine, G. (PhD, 2011). Exploring the development of student leadership potential within a Catholic school: a qualitative case study
(Dr Tony Ryan co-supervisor)
- Schiffer, N. (MEd, 2010). An exploration of the study abroad experiences of United States students in three halls of residence at a Catholic university in Western Australia
(Associate Professor Dianne Chambers co-supervisor)
Research and engagement
Lavery, S., Coffey, A., & Sandri, S. (2017). The value of service-learning in a pre-service secondary teacher qualification. In S. Lavery, D. Chambers, & G. Cain (Eds.). Service-Learning: Enhancing Inclusive Education (pp. 241-264), United Kingdom: Emerald Publishing.
Lavery, S., Sayce, D., & Peterson, S. (2017). Teaching ecological themes in religious education. In R. Rymarz, & A. Belmonte (Eds.). Religious education in Australian Catholic schools: Exploring the landscape. Australia: Vaughan Publishing.
Lavery, S. (2015). Religious Educators: Championing the concept of sustainable living. In M. Buchanan, & A. Gellel (Eds.). Global perspectives on Catholic religious education in schools. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
Lavery, D., (2013). Learning to lead through service: Key insights for effective leadership in schools. In M. Buchanan (Ed.). Leadership and religious schools. (pp. 145-163) New York: Bloomsbury.
Hackett, C., & Lavery, S. (2010). Formation of quality of pre-service teachers through leadership, service and pastoral care. In R. Toomey, T. Lovat, N. Clement, & K. Dally, (Eds.). Teacher education and values pedagogy. (pp. 96-107) Australia: David Barlow Publishing
- Coffey, A., & Lavery, S. (2017). Student leadership in the middle years: A matter of concern. Improving Schools, 1-14
- Datta Roy, S., & Lavery, S. (2017). Experiences of overseas trained teachers seeking public school positions in Western Australia and South Australia. Issues in Educational Research, 27(4). 720-735.
- O'Neill, M., Lavery, S., & Coffey, A. (2017). Parents: Active partners in the educational achievement of their children. eJournal of Catholic Education in Australasia, 2(1).
- Sayce, D., & Lavery, S. (2016). Beginning female and male Catholic school principals in Western Australia – it's not simply a matter of gender! eJournal of Catholic Education in Australasia, 3(1).
- Coffey, A., & Lavery, S. (2015). Service-learning: A valuable means of preparing pre-service teachers for a teaching practicum. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 40(7)
- Hine, G. S., & Lavery, S. (2015), The role of the primary school principal in developing student leadership. eJournal of Catholic Education in Australasia, 2(1).
- Lavery, S., Cain, G;, & Hampton, P. (2014). A service-learning immersion in a remote Aboriginal community: Enhancing pre-service teacher education. International Journal of Whole Schooling, 10(2). 39-54
- Hine, G., & Lavery, S. (2014). Action research: Informing professional practice within schools. Issues in Educational Research, 24 (2), 162-173.
- Lavery, S. D., & Hine, G. S. (2013). Catholic School Principals: Promoting Student Leadership. Journal of Catholic Education, 17 (1)
- Lavery, S. D. (2012). The Catholic school principal: A transcendent leader?. Journal of Catholic School Studies, 84 (1), 36-42.
- Lavery, S. D., & Hine, G. S. (2012). Principals: Catalysts for promoting student leadership. Principal Matters, Winter.
- Chambers, D. J., & Lavery, S. (2012). Service-Learning: A Valuable Component of Pre-Service Teacher Education. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 37(4).
- Hackett, C., & Lavery, S. D. (2012). Formation of pre-service teachers for religious education through experiential learning: The retreat leaders training program. Journal of Religious Education, 60 (2), 13-23.
- Hackett, C., & Lavery, S. D. (2011). Student ministry: Youth 'step up' to lead and serve. Journal of Catholic School Studies, 83 (1), 54-62.
- Lavery, S. D. (2011). Transactional, transformative and a servant!. Principal Matters, Spring, 28-31.
- Lavery, S. D. (2011). Religious educators: Promoting an ecological balance. Religious Education Journal of Australia, 27 (2), 16-20.
- Lavery, S. D. (2011). Teaching for the future: Framing an environmentally sustainable future through teacher education. EarthSong Journal, 2 (1), 26-28.
- Hackett, C., & Lavery, S. D. (2010). ASPIRE: Formation of pre-service teachers through leadership, community engagement and retreat training. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 35 (1), 76-89.
- Lavery, S. D. (2009). Religious educators: Promoting servant leadership. Religious Education Journal of Australia, 25 (1), 31-36.
- Lavery, S. D. (2009). Service-learning: Promoting leadership in young people. Principal Matters, 80, 28-30.
- Lavery, S. D., & Hackett, C. (2008). Christian service learning in Catholic schools. Journal of Religious Education, 56 (3), 18-24.
- Lavery, S. D. (2008). Developing student leadership through service-learning. Journal of Catholic School Studies, 80 (2), 5-12.
- Lavery, S. D. (2007). Christian service learning – does it make a difference?. Journal of Religious Education, 55 (1), 50-53.
- Lavery, S. (2006). Student leaders: So many reasons to bother. Principal Matters, 69 Summer, 27-28.
- Lavery, S., & Richards, J. (2006). Service-learning: More than just volunteering. Principal Matters, 66 Autumn, 17-18.
- Lavery, S., & Hay, P. (2004). Promoting our interior life as teachers. Catholic School Studies, 77(1), 2-3.
- Lavery, S., & Coffey, A. (2016). Service-learning: Promoting the development of the graduate professional standards in pre-service secondary teachers. Teaching and Learning Forum 2016
- Hine, G., & Lavery, S. D. (2014). The importance of action research in teacher education programs : Three testimonies. Teaching and Learning Forum 2014: Transformative, Innovative and Engaging.
- Hine, G., & Lavery, S. D. (2013). Student leadership in Catholic schools: A matter of service!. 6th International Conference on Catholic Educational Leadership.
- Sayce, D., & Lavery, S. D. (2013). Beginning the school principalship in rural and remote Catholic Schools in Western Australia. 6th International Conference on Catholic Educational Leadership.
- Sayce, D., & Lavery, S. D. (2010). Strategies for Hope and Sustainability, The Beginning Principal: needs and challenges. Fifth International Conference on Catholic Educational Leadership 2010.
- Hackett, C., & Lavery, S. D. (2010). Student Ministry: Preparing Young People as Leaders for the 21st Century. Fifth International Conference on Catholic Educational Leadership 2010.
- Lavery, S. D. (2007). Service-Learning – preparing students for leadership. Australian Association for Research in Education Conference.
Religious Education Journal of Australia - Editorial Advisory Committee
The Australian Journal of Teacher Education - Reviewer
Presenter for CEOWA Accreditation Courses (Social Justice)
Professional Development with school staffs: service-learning, servant leadership, educational leadership, student leadership, environmental concerns, social justice.
The Vice Chancellor’s Award for Initiatives that Enhance Student Learning (2016)
Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation, (2009)
Dean's Teaching Award, (2007)