Dr Marilyn Bromberg (formerly Dr Marilyn Krawitz)
PhD, LLB (Dist), BBA (Hon), Grad Cert Uni Teaching
Phone: 9433 0608
Marilyn completed her PhD in 2014. The title of her PhD is An Examination of Social Media’s Impact upon the Courts in Australia. Marilyn spoke about her PhD research at Harvard University, the Supreme Court of Canada, the Supreme Court of Western Australia, the State Administrative Tribunal, the Family Court of Western Australia, the 2014 Cyberjustice Conference (in Montreal) and the 2014 IACA Conference (in Sydney). Marilyn spoke about her body image and the law research at the Melbourne Law School at The University of Melbourne, the Australian National University and at a Victorian Women Lawyers event. Marilyn completed her Graduate Certificate in University Teaching in 2015. Marilyn has tutored Evidence at the University of Western Australia. Marilyn is also a Partner at Dr Bromberg Legal, where she specialises in civil litigation and criminal law.
Marilyn is currently the Research Roundtable Coordinator for the Law School, the Chair of its Alumni Advisory Board and its Director of Marketing.
Marilyn is currently supervising an LLM student and has the capacity to supervise additional students in her research areas.
Research and engagement
- Bromberg, Marilyn and Howard, Justine, ‘Red Bull: Does it Give you Wings or Cardiac Disturbances? Modifying the Law Regarding Energy Drinks in Australia’ (2016) 24 The Journal of Law and Medicine 433.
- Howard, Justine and Krawitz, Marilyn, ‘Should Australian Courts Give More Witnesses the Right to Skype?’ (2015) 25 Journal of Judicial Administration 44.
- Krawitz, Marilyn, 'Beauty Is only Photoshop Deep: Legislating Models' BMIs and Photoshopping Images' (2014) 21 Journal of Law and Medicine 859.
- Krawitz, Marilyn, 'Can Australian Judges Keep their 'Friends' Close and their Ethical Obligations Closer? An Analysis of the Issues Regarding Australian Judges' Social Media Use' (2013) 23(1) Journal of Judicial Administration 14.
- Krawitz, Marilyn, 'Summoned by Social Media: Why Australian Courts Should Have Social Media Accounts' (2014) 23(3) Journal of Judicial Administration 182.
- Krawitz, Marilyn, 'Stop the Presses, but not the Tweets! Why Australian Judicial Officials Should Permit Journalists to Use Social Media in the Courtroom' (2013) 15(1) Flinders Law Journal 1.
- Krawitz, Marilyn, 'May It Tweet the Court: Ethical Considerations Involving Australian Lawyers' Social Media Use' (2013) 2 Journal of Civil Litigation and Practice 85.
- Krawitz, Marilyn, 'We Didn't Start this Fireless Vapour: E-Cigarette Legislation in Australia' (2014) 22 Journal of Law and Medicine 462.
- Slattery, Robert and Krawitz, Marilyn, 'Mark Zuckerberg, the Cookie Monster – Australian Privacy Law and Internet Cookies' (2014) 16(1) Flinders Law Journal 1.
The Fremantle Gazette:
The Law Report:
The Sydney Morning Herald - 11 July 2016
The West Australian:
- Member of the International Association for Court Administration (2015 - present)
- Member of the Editorial Board, LexisNexis Internet Law Bulletin (2015 - present)
- Volunteer lawyer, Fremantle Community Legal Centre (2014 - present)
- Volunteer judge, Interschool Mock Trials Competition, The Law Society of Western Australia (2011 - present)
- Holds a valid certificate to practice law in the State of Western Australia (2010 - present)
- Finalist for the Lawyers Weekly Women in Law ‘Academic of the Year’ award (2015)
- Received The Jane Power Prize for Service to the School of Law (2014)
- Commonwealth Funded Research Training Scheme Scholarship (2011 - 2014)
- Received five letters of merit for teaching from the Dean of UNDA’s School of Law (2011 - 2014)
- Received the Appreciation Award from the City of Perth Rotaract for “enthusiasm and support at both Club and District level” (2010)