Dr Glenn Morrison
BEc (Macquarie), B. Theol (Hons), Theol. M (Melbourne College of Divinity),
PhD (Australian Catholic University), Grad. Cert. Uni. Teach. (UNDA)
Associate Professor – Systematic Theology
Phone: 9433 0146
In 2013, Dr. Morrison's book, A Theology of Alterity: Levinas, von Balthasar and Trinitarian Praxis will be published with Duquesne University Press. The book engages Emmanuel Levinas' philosophy with Hans Urs von Balthasar's theology as a means to develop a language of alterity (or otherness) for theology in a variety of contexts: paschal mystery, Trinity, eschatology, Paul's encounter of the risen Christ, emotions, mental health, forgiveness, film, Jewish-Christian friendship, and living at the margins of life.
Supervision (completed): 1 Doctor of Pastoral Studies; 2 MATS; 2 Master of Theology; 1 Master of Professional Research
Supervision (current): 1 Doctor of Philosophy; 1 Master of Theology
Doctor of Philosophy
Jim Cregan, The Garden of Eden and Christian
Identity: Symbol, Myth and Narrative in the
Gospel of John
Master of Theology
Jonathon Bergmann, The Decline of Sacramental Theology and Practice in the Modern Evangelical Church, and its effects on the future of communion and baptism.
Master of Arts (Theological Studies) Rev. John Smith, "The Ecclesiology of the TEAM Training Programme and its role in the mission of the Anglican Church in Western Australia," 2007.
Master of Arts (Theological Studies) Richard Mavros, "Towards a theological understanding of overseas mission in the Edmund Rice Tradition," 2009.
Doctor of Pastoral Studies
Rev. Matthew Brain, "A Pauline approach to the transmission of faith to Generation Y: Come with me as I tell you the way," 2010.
Master of Theology Andrew Broadbent, Mission as Transformation: The Theology of Lesslie Newbigin and TEAR Australia
Master of Theology Jim Cregan, Water as Blessing: Recovering the Symbolism of the Garden of Eden through Ezekiel for Christian Theology – a Theological Investigation
(Received an APA scholarship for his PhD)
Master of Professional Research Mark Shaw, "A theological investigation into the perceptions of Catholic health care in Perth," 2010.
Research and engagement
“Good Teaching, Spirituality and the Challenge of Encountering Cultural Difference in Australia” in Abe Ata, ed. Catholics and Catholicism in Australia: challenges and achievements. Kew East VIC: David Lovell Publishing, 2012, 183-193.
Abe Ata and Glenn Morrison, “Opting for an Eschatological Interpretation of Interfaith Marriages” in Abe Ata, Us and Them: Observations on Interfaith Relations and Cultural Harmony in Australia. Bowen Hills, Qld: Australian Academic Press, June 2009, pp. 173-178.
“Renewing Christian Theology with Levinas: Towards a Trinitarian Praxis” in Burggraeve, Roger, ed. The Awakening of Meaning: A Provocative Dialogue with Levinas. Leuven: Peeters, 2008, 137-160.
“The (im)possibilities of Levinas for Christian Theology: the search for a language of alterity” in De Tavernier, J., Selling, J. Verstraeten and P. Schotsmans, eds, Festschrift Roger Burggraeve: Responsibility, God and Society. Theological Ethics in Dialogue. Bibliotheca Ephemeridum Theologicarum Lovaniensium, 217. Leuven: Peeters, 2008, 103-122.
- "Grapes, Olives and Yams: towards a theology of the garden in Oceania," Australian eJournal of Theology 20: 3 (December, 2013): 171-184.
- "Children of a Lesser God: Truth as Bodiliness and Forgiveness," Australian eJournal of Theology 18:2 (August, 2011): 175-188.
- "Thinking Otherwise: Theology, Inculturation and Climate Change." Australian eJournal of Theology (August, 2010): 1-14.
- "Journeying Towards the Heart in the Spirit of St. Augustine." Australian eJournal of Theology, (January, 2010), 1-9. Excerpt also published in the University of Notre Dame Australia publication, In Principio 21:1 (Semester One, 2010): 22-23.
- "Good Teaching, Spirituality and the Philosophy of Emmanuel Levinas". Australian eJournal of Theology (August, 2009): 1-14.
- "Humanism, Education and Spirituality: Approaching Psychosis with Levinas". Australian eJournal of Theology (July, 2008): 1-24.
- "Walter Kasper's Religious Quest for Jesus Christ". Irish Theological Quarterly 72 (Autumn, 2007): 274-294.
- "Phenomenology, Theology and Psychosis: Towards Compassion". The Heythrop Journal (July, 2007): 561-576.
- "Pastoral Care and Counselling: Towards a Post-Metaphysical Theology of Friendship". Australian eJournal of Theology (March 2007): 1-21.
- "Living at the Margins of Life: Encountering the Other and Doing Theology". Australian eJournal of Theology (February 2006): 1-7.
- Abe Ata and Glenn Morrison. "Guest Editorial: Health Care Providers, Bereavement Anxieties and Ethnocentric Pedagogy: Towards A Sense of Otherness." Australian e-Journal for the Advancement of Mental Health (AeJAMH) (December, 2005): 1-4.
- Abe Ata and Glenn Morrison. "Dynamics of Interfaith Marriage: An Eschatological Vocation Beyond the Limits of Dialogue". Australian eJournal of Theology (August 2005), 1-10. Also published in Dialogue & Alliance 19:1 (Spring/Summer 2005): 91-100.
- "Understanding Levinas' Origins: Husserl, Heidegger and Rosenzweig". The Heythrop Journal XLVI (January, 2005): 41-59. This article appeared in 2007 as number one in a list of the top cited articles for The Heythrop Journal, based on ISI citation data collected from journals published in the last 3 years. This list includes up to 20 of the journal's most cited articles.
- "The Triune Drama of the Resurrection via Levinas' Non-Phenomenology". Sophia (International journal for philosophy of religion, metaphysical theology and ethics), 42:2 (Oct, 2003): 79-97.
- "Emmanuel Lévinas and Christian Theology". Irish Theological Quarterly 68:1 (Spring, 2003): 3-24.
- "A Review of Michael Purcell's Theological Development of Levinas' Philosophy". The Heythrop Journal 44:2 (April, 2003): 147-166.
- "Jewish-Christian Relations and the Ethical Philosophy of Emmanuel Levinas: 'At the very moment where all is lost, everything is possible'". Journal of Ecumenical Studies 38:2-3 (Spring-Summer, 2001): 316-329.
- "'God Writes Straight with Crooked Lines': Eros, Agape and the Witness of Glory. An Encounter Between the philosophy of Emmanuel Lévinas and Feminist Liberation Theology". Colloquium (The Australian and New Zealand Theological Review) 33:1 (May, 2001): 23-37.
- "Sacred Feelings: Lévinas and the Universe. Unlocking the mystery of the there is [il y a]". Australasian Catholic Record (April, 2001): 153-162.
- "In Your Face I Hear the Word of God: Lévinas and the Trinity". Compass Theological Review (Spring, 2000): 22-24.
- "Silence: The Experiences of Sebastian Rodrigues SJ". The Japan Mission Journal (Autumn, 1995): 201-212.
“Pastoral Care and Counselling: Towards a Post-Metaphysical Theology of Friendship”. Paper presented at the APTO (The Association for Practical Theology in Oceania) Conference, Auckland, November 3-5, 2006.
“Ethics at the Margins of Life: Encountering the Other. Paper presented at the ANZATS.ANZSTS Conference, The Peril of Christianising Jesus: Faith, Culture & Conflict, Perth, 4-8 July, 2005.
“Re-Thinking Cosmology Ethically and Theologically in the Light of Emmanuel Lévinas’ Phenomenology of Evil”. Paper presented at the CTNS Creation and Complexity Workshop, Canberra, January 25-30, 2002.
- Discovering Levinas, by Michael L. Morgan (Cambridge University Press, 2007). The Heythrop Journal 55:4 (July, 2014): 742.
- Only One Way? Three Christian Responses on the Uniqueness of Christ in a Religiously Plural World. Gavin D'Costa, Paul Knitter and Daniel Strange. Pp. vii, 240. SCM Press, 2011. The Heythrop Journal 55:3 (May, 2014): 495-496.
- Practical Theology: An Introduction, by Richard R. Osmer (William B. Eerdmans, 2008). The Heythrop Journal 55:2 (March, 2014): 309-310. Previously also published in The Heythrop Journal 52:4 (July, 2011): 711-713.
- The Meaning of Life, by S. L. Frank (Eerdmans, 2010). The Heythrop Journal 54:4 (July, 2013): 702-704.
- Atoms and Eden: Conversations on Religion and Science, by Steve Paulson (Oxford UP, 2010). The Heythrop Journal 54:4 (July, 2013): 702-704.
- Emmanuel Levinas, by Seán Hand (Routledge, 2009). The Heythrop Journal 53:1 (January, 2012): 172-173.
- Into the Dark: Seeing the Sacred in the Top Films of the 21st Century, by Craig Detweiler (Baker Academic, 2008). The Heythrop Journal 52:6 (November, 2011): 1083-1984.
- A Brief History of the Doctrine of the Trinity in the Early Church, by Franz Dunzl (T&T Clark, 2007). The Heythrop Journal 52:5 (September, 2011): 822-823.
- The God Who is Triune: Revisioning the Christian Doctrine of God, by Allan Coppedge (IVP Academic 2007). The Heythrop Journal 52:5 (September, 2011): 830-831.
- Studying Christian Spirituality, by David Perrin (Routledge, 2007). The Heythrop Journal 52:4 (July, 2011): 711-713. Reprinted, The Heythrop Journal 55:2 (March, 2014): 309-310.
- Practical Theology: An Introduction, by Richard R. Osmer (William B. Eerdmans, 2008 ). The Heythrop Journal 52:4 (July, 2011): 711-713. Reprinted, The Heythrop Journal 55:2 (March, 2014): 309-310.
- Christ in Postmodern Philosophy, by Frederiek Depoortere (T&T Clarke, 2008). The Heythrop Journal 52:1 (January, 2011): 172-173.
- A Balm for Gilead: Spirituality and the Healing Arts, by Daniel Sulmasy (Georgetown UP, 2006), The Heythrop Journal 51:3 (May, 2010): 501.
- Tayloring Reformed Epistemology: Charles Taylor, Alvin Plantinga and the De Jure Challenge to Christian Belief, by Deane-Peter Baker (Veritas 2007). The Heythrop Journal 50:3 (May, 2009): 512.
- The Bible and Epistemology: Biblical Soundings of the Knowledge of God, ed. By Mary Healy and Robin Parry (Paternoster 2007). The Heythrop Journal 50:3 (May, 2009): 512-513.
- Human Experience: Philosophy, Neurosis and the Elements of Everyday Life, by John Russon (State Univ. of New York, 2003), The Heythrop Journal 49:3 (May, 2008): 535-536.
- Death, by Geoffrey Scarre (Acumen, 2007), The Heythrop Journal 49:3 (May, 2008): 539-540.
- Gathered For the Journey: An Introduction to Catholic Moral Theology. Edited by David Matzko McCarthy and Therese Lysaught (London: SCM Press, 2007), The Expository Times (August, 2008): 554.
- Dan Cohn-Sherbok & Lavinia Cohn-Sherbok, An Encylopedia of Judaism and Christianity (London: DLT, 2004) in Australian EJournal of Theology Issue 6 (February 2006).
- "Interfaith Dialogue and Transcendence: Being face-to-face". Council of Christian and Jews Western Australia Newsletter 5774 Shevat (January 2014): 1.
- "Ageing and Interfaith Dialogue: storytelling and the beginning of the wisdom of love". Council of Christian and Jews Western Australia Newsletter 5775 Shevat (January 2015): 1.
2006-Current APTO – The Association for Practical Theology in Oceania
2000-Current ACTA – Australian Catholic Theological Association
2003-2004 The Council of Christians and Jews (Victoria)