Dr Laura D'Olimpio
Dr Laura D’Olimpio is a Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at The University of Notre Dame Australia and a regular contributor to 'The Conversation' and Radio National’s 'Philosopher’s Zone' and 'The Minefield'. She completed her PhD 'The Moral Possibilities of Mass Art' at The University of Western Australia. Laura is Chairperson of the Federation of Australasian Philosophy in Schools Associations (FAPSA) and co-editor of the Journal of Philosophy in Schools (www.ojs.unisa.edu.au/index.php/jps). Laura has published in the areas of philosophical pedagogy, aesthetics and ethics and her first book, "Media and Moral Education: a philosophy of critical engagement" was published in the ‘Routledge International Studies in the Philosophy of Education’ book series in November 2017.
Moral Philosophy and Applied Ethics, Aesthetics, Philosophy of Education, Philosophy of Religion, History of Modern Philosophy, History of Medieval Philosophy, Philosophy of Love and Friendship, Philosophy in Schools, Existentialism
Research Expertise and Supervision
Moral Philosophy and Applied Ethics, Aesthetics, particularly Philosophy of Film and Literature, Aesthetics and Ethics, Philosophy of Education, particularly Moral Education, Philosophy in Schools, Philosophy of Technology, Existentialism, Philosophy of Love and Friendship
- Completion 2015: Dr Mikaela Ciprian, Animal Biology, UWA. Co-Supervisor for her PhD Thesis “The role of ethical theories in the decision making of Australian animal ethics committees: a multi-method examination.”
- Since 2016 Alexander Westenberg, Philosophy, UNDA. Co-supervisor for his PhD Thesis “Philosophy As Rational Self-Awareness”. Expected completion January 2018.
- Since 2015 Stephanie Massey, Education, UNDA. Co-supervisor for her Professional Doctorate “A quest for meaning: To what extent can philosophical inquiry develop the capability of ‘critical and creative thinking’?”. Expected completion January 2019.
- Completion 2016 Julian Sherrington, Philosophy, UNDA. First class Honours Thesis “Nietzsche, virtue and social media”
Research and engagement
D’Olimpio, L. (2017). Media and Moral Education: a philosophy of critical engagement. London: Routledge. www.routledge.com/Media-and-Moral-Education-A-Philosophy-of-Critical-Engagement/DOlimpio/p/book/9781138291423
- D’Olimpio, L., Leckey, M. & Splitter, L. (forthcoming 2018). ‘The federation debate: a history of formalised networks from AIPC to FAPSA’ in Gil Burgh & Simone Thornton (Eds.) Philosophical Inquiry with Children: The development of an inquiring society in Australia. London: Routledge.
- D’Olimpio, L. & Peterson, A. (forthcoming 2018). ‘From newsletters to an Australasian journal and the future of open access publishing’ in Gil Burgh & Simone Thornton (Eds.) Philosophical Inquiry with Children: The development of an inquiring society in Australia. London: Routledge.
- D’Olimpio, L. (forthcoming 2018) ‘Multiliteracies and the Critical Thinker: Philosophical Engagement with Mass Media in The Classroom’ in Michael Hoechsmann, Gina Thésée, & Paul R. Carr (Eds.) Media Literacy 2.0: From techno-fetishism and moral panic to critical democratic classroom praxis. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2017). ‘Thoughts on Film: Critically engaging with both Adorno and Benjamin’ in Elizabeth M. Greirson (Ed.) Activating Aesthetics. London: Routledge. DOI: 9781138096226: www.routledge.com/Activating-Aesthetics/Grierson/p/book/9781138096226
- D’Olimpio, L. & Teschers, C. (2016) ‘Drama, Gestures and philosophy in the classroom: playing with philosophy to support an education for life’ in Maughn Gregory, Joanna Haynes and Karin Murris (Eds). The Routledge Handbook of Philosophy for Children, London: Routledge. DOI: 9781138847675: www.routledge.com/The-Routledge-International-Handbook-of-Philosophy-for-Children/Rollins-Gregory-Haynes-Murris/p/book/9781138847675
Journal Articles and Proceedings
- Co-editor for open access, peer-reviewed Journal of Philosophy in Schools: www.ojs.unisa.edu.au/index.php/jps/index Twitter: @JournalP4C
- D’Olimpio, L. & Peterson, A. (2017) ‘The Ethics of Narrative Art: philosophy in schools, compassion and learning from stories’ Journal of Philosophy in Schools 4(2) special issue ‘Why should philosophy be taught in schools?’ guest edited by M. Hand.
- Tarrant, S. & D’Olimpio, L. (2017) ‘Philosophy in the (Gender and the Law) Classroom’ Analytic Teaching and Philosophical Praxis Vol 38.
- D’Olimpio, L. & Teschers, C. (2017) ‘Playing with Philosophy: Gestures, Performance, P4C and an Art of Living’ Educational Philosophy and Theory, Special Issue ‘Aesthetic Education’ Ed. Elizabeth Grierson. DOI: 10.1080/00131857.2017.1294974
- D’Olimpio, L. (2016) ‘Trust as a virtue in Education’ Educational Philosophy and Theory, Special Issue ‘Trust and Schooling’ Ed. Bruce Haynes, DOI: 10.1080/00131857.2016.1194737
- D’Olimpio, L. & Teschers, C. (2016) ‘Philosophy for Children meets the Art of Living: a holistic approach to an Education for Life’ Philosophical Inquiry in Education 23(2), 114-124
- D’Olimpio, L., McCarthy, A., & Pedersen, A. (2016) ‘Cultural DeCoding: a humanities program for gifted and talented high school students seeking university entrance’ Journal of Philosophy in Schools 3(1), 84-103.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2015) ‘Trust, Well-being and the Community of Philosophical Inquiry’ He Kupu 4(2) Special Issue ‘Well-being in Early Childhood Education’, 45-57.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2014) "Thoughts on Film: Critically engaging with both Adorno and Benjamin" Educational Philosophy and Theory http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131857.2014.964161
- D'Olimpio, L. (2007) "Critical Perspectivism and Engaging with Mass Art/Media" Critical & Creative Thinking: The Australasian Journal of Philosophy in Education Vol 15: No 2, 27-39.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2004) "Drama and Philosophy: Language, Thinking and Laughing Out Loud!" International Drama Educators Association (IDEA)/Applied Theatre Research Journal Vol 5:2004 http://www.griffith.edu.au/arts-languages-criminology/centre-public-culture-ideas/research/applied-theatre/publications/issues
- D’Olimpio, L. (2017) “Critical Perspectivism: social media and moral education” The 47th Annual Conference for The Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA), Newcastle University, Dec 1-5.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2017) “Superheroes and the Leap of Faith: Film and Philosophy for Children” The 18th International Council of Philosophical Inquiry with Children (ICPIC) Conference, Madrid, Spain, 28 June – 1 July.
- Hand, M., & D’Olimpio, L. (2017) “In defence of teacher exposition in the teaching of philosophy” The European Foundation for the Advancement of Doing Philosophy with Children (SOPHIA) Workshop, Aveiro, Portugal, 3 – 4 July.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2016) “The Ethics of Engaging with Narratives: Teaching Philosophy and ‘Critical Perspectivism’” The 46th Annual Conference for The Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA), Warwick Hotel, Fiji, Dec 8-12.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2016) “Philosophy for Children and Drama Education: critical and creative thinking united” The Annual Federation of Australasian Philosophy in Schools Associations (FAPSA) Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, April 18-20.
- D’Olimpio, L. & Teschers, C. (2015) “Playing with Philosophy: Gestures, Performance, P4C and an Art of Living” The 45th Annual Conference for The Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA), ACU, Melbourne, Australia, Dec 5-8.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2014) "Philosophy for Children and the general capabilities: why critical and creative thinking is essential to education" The 10th Murdoch Colloquium "Philosophy Across Traditions" at Murdoch University, Perth WA.
- D'Olimpio, L. & Teschers, C. (2014) "Exploring Philosophy for Children and the Art of Living for an Approach to an Education for Life" The 44th Annual Conference for The Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA), Hamilton, New Zealand, Nov 22-25.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2013) "Philosophical engagement with mass media: teaching viewers to be critical." The Annual Federation of Australasian Philosophy in Schools Associations (FAPSA) Conference, UNDA Sydney, July12-13.
- Ciprian, M., D'Olimpio, L., (2013). "Animal Ethics Committees, ethical excellence, and consistent utilitarianism" 20th Annual Australian Association for Professional and Applied Ethics (AAPAE) Conference, UNDA, Fremantle, June 27-30.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2012, Dec) "Where is the place for the thinking viewer in the cinema?" The Second Cinematic Thinking Workshop: 'Thinking cinematically before Deleuze' at The University of New South Wales.
- D'Olimpio, L. and O'Leary, M. (2011, Nov) "The Ethical Considerations of Climate Change: What Does It Mean and Who Cares?" Murdoch Colloquium "A Day of Philo-Sophia: Friendship and Philosophical Discussion" at Murdoch University, Perth WA.
- D.Olimpio, L. (2010, Dec) "The Conditions of Visibility: The Affect of Conceptual Art" Annual Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy Conference 2010 at The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2008, July) "Critical Perspectivism: A Supplementary Moral Theory" Annual Australasian Association of Philosophy (AAP) Conference at Melbourne University, Melbourne, VIC.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2007, Aug) "BORAT meets Adorno: Cultural Sensitivities Post 9/11?" UWA Hons /Post-graduate Seminar Series at The University of Western Australia.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2007, Nov) "Adorno Today; Mass Art and Critical Perspectivism" Murdoch Colloquium "Philosophical Dialogues" at Murdoch University, Perth WA.
- D'Olimpio, L & Fantasia, J. (2003, July) "Drama and Philosophy: Creating Connections" Association for Philosophy in Schools (APIS) Philosophy for Children Level One Workshop, Wesley College, WA.
In the Media
- D'Olimpio. L. (March 2017) "Philosophy's Consolation: Can we recover the love of wisdom in an age of rampant fakery?" ABC Religion and Ethics website: http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2017/03/07/4631811.htm
- D'Olimpio. L. (Jan 2017) "Educating compassionate citizens or educating for compassion" Radio National Philosopher's Zone Website: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/features/educating-compassionate-citizens-or-educating-for-compassion/8217982
- Stokes, P., Ivison, D., D'Olimpio, L., & Sharpe, M. (Dec 2016) "Where to start reading philosophy" The Conversation https://theconversation.com/where-to-start-reading-philosophy-51745
- D'Olimpio. L. (Oct 2016) "Fear, trust, and the social contract: What's lost in a society on permanent alert" ABC Website: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-26/fear-trust--social-contract-society-on-permanent-alert/7959304
- Piovarchy, A & D'Olimpio, L. (August 2016) "Want to improve NAPLAN scores? Teach children philosophy" The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/want-to-improve-naplan-scores-teach-children-philosophy-64536
- D'Olimpio, L. (July 2016) "How do you know you're not living in a computer simulation?" The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/how-do-you-know-youre-not-living-in-a-computer-simulation-60704
- D'Olimpio, L. (July 2016) "First as Pokémon, then as farce? The risks of the modern culture industry" ABC Religion and Ethics website: http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2016/07/14/4500332.htm
- D'Olimpio, L. (June 2016) "The trolley dilemma: would you kill one person to save five?" The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/the-trolley-dilemma-would-you-kill-one-person-to-save-five-57111
- D'Olimpio, L. (May 2016) "What Good is Public Philosophy" ABC Radio National website http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/what-good-is-public-philosophy/7437036
- D'Olimpio, L. (Feb 2016) "Should Artists Make Moral Claims? Mixing Aesthetics and Ethics" The Ethics Centre: http://www.ethics.org.au/on-ethics/blog/february-2016/should-artists-make-moral-claims-mixing-aesthetics
- Contributor to The Conversation Cogito philosophy blog: https://theconversation.com/columns/cogito-377
- D'Olimpio, L., et al (Nov 2015) "Philosophy and Fallout 4: what's the appeal of the post-apocalypse?" for The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/philosophy-and-fallout-4-whats-the-appeal-of-the-post-apocalypse-50759
- D'Olimpio, L. (May 2015) "Unleashing the Creative" ABC Radio National website http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/unleashing-the-creative-nietzsche-the-phenomenologists/6504578
- D'Olimpio, L. (Feb, 2015) "Living Life as an Artist: Nietzsche on Creativity" The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/living-life-as-an-artist-nietzsche-on-creativity-36257
- D'Olimpio, L. (Oct, 2014) "Thought Experiments: the films that turn us into philosophers" The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/thought-experiments-the-films-that-turn-us-into-philosophers-31338
- D'Olimpio, L. (Sept, 2014) "Happy Days: virtue isn't just for sanctimonious do-gooders" The Conversation: http://theconversation.com/happy-days-virtue-isnt-just-for-sanctimonious-do-gooders-31168
- D'Olimpio, L. And Hamilton, R. (May, 2014) "Love problems? There is a pill for that, but Plato offers a wiser cure" The Conversation: http://theconversation.com/love-problems-theres-a-pill-for-that-but-plato-offers-a-wiser-cure-24766
- D'Olimpio, L. (Mar, 2014) "Why Children Should Study Philosophy" The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/why-children-should-study-philosophy-23404
- D'Olimpio, L. and O'Leary, M. J. (2013) "The Ethical Considerations of Climate Change: What Does It Mean and Who Cares?" AQ: Australian Quarterly: Climate Change Special, Vol.84:1, Jan-March.
- Forthcoming 2017 "Post-truth and Social Media" Guest Producer for ABC Radio National 'Philosopher's Zone'.
- 17 Sept 2017 "Tell me one thing that's absolutely true" interviewed for ABC Radio National 'Philosopher's Zone' http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/what-the-matrix-tells-us-about-truth-scepticism-and-reality/8872396
- 8 March 2017 "What chance does political honesty have in a post-truth age?" Guest host for ABC Radio National's 'The Minefield' http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/theminefield/what-chance-does-political-honesty-have-in-a-post-truth-age/8328856
- 29 Jan 2017 Guest Producer for ABC Radio National 'Philosopher's Zone' "Compassion: caught or taught?" http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/compassion:-caught-or-taught/8212506
- 23 Oct 2016 Guest Producer for ABC Radio National 'Philosopher's Zone' "The Social Contract in an age of terror: who can you trust?" http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/the-social-contract-in-an-age-of-terror:-who-can-you-trust/7946638
- 14 July 2016 "Pokémon Go: Revolution, Fad or Omen?" for The Minefield with Waleed Aly & Scott Stephens http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/theminefield/2016-07-14/7625188
- 22 May 2016 Guest Producer for ABC Radio National 'Philosopher's Zone' "A Public Act" http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/2016-05-22/7418042
- 25 Oct 2015 Guest Producer for ABC Radio National 'Philosopher's Zone' "The Young and the Reasonable" http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/the-young-and-the-reasonable/6865730
- 31 May 2015 Guest Producer for ABC Radio National 'Philosopher's Zone' "Creatively Unleashed" http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/to-live-creatively/6495420
- 4 July 2014 Guest Producer for ABC Radio National, 'Philosopher's Zone' "Is film a useful medium for philosophical discussion?" http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/is-film-a-useful-medium-for-philosophical-discussion/5571720
- 22 March 2014 ABC Radio, Brisbane, QLD "Why Children are Natural Philosophers" with Kat Davidson. https://soundcloud.com/612abcbrisbane/why-children-are-natural
- 12 May, 2013 ABC Radio National, 'Philosopher's Zone' "Love Potions" with Joe Gelonesi. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/love-hurts/4634802
- Since 2016 Chairperson for The Federation of Australasian Philosophy in Schools Associations (FAPSA). Committee member since 2014.
- Since 2003 Committee member for the Association of Philosophy in Schools Inc. (APIS, WA). Chairperson from 2013-2016; Secretary 2004-2010.
- Member of the Editor's Collective (http://www.editorscollective.org.nz/membership/)
- Member of the Editorial Development Group for Educational Philosophy and Theory (EPAT), the official journal of the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA).
- Member of the Western Australian Institute for Educational Research (WAIER)
- Member of the European Foundation for the Advancement of Doing Philosophy with Children (SOPHIA).
- Since 2010 Member of the Cinematic Thinking Network
- Member of the Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy (ASCP).
- Member of the American Philosophical Association (APA).
- Member of the Australasian Association of Philosophy (AAP).
- Assist with WACE Course Exams 'Philosophy and Ethics' for The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA).
- Organise and present at the UNDA Year 12 Symposium for 'Philosophy & Ethics'.
- Organise and present at Year 12 "Student Revision Day" for 'Philosophy & Ethics' WACE ATAR Course of Study co-hosted by APIS, WA and UNDA.
- Conducted sessions in philosophy for year 12s for Cultural DeCoding, hosted by UNDA Fremantle for gifted and talented students
- Chief Facilitator at the Annual Hale School Philosothon, now 'Perth Philosothon' since its inception in 2007.
- Ran Philosophy Cafes for UNDA Open Days and for the Catholic Youth Festival Veritas.
- Conduct "Philosophy and Film" lecture for high school students for UNDA's A Day In the Life of a University Student.
- Semester Two, 2018 Invited visiting scholar to the Graduate Philosophy of Education program at Teachers College, Columbia University, USA.
- Oct 2016 Invited visiting scholar to the University of Newcastle, Educational Philosophies and Professional Ethics.
- Mar ’10 – Mar ’11 Honorary Research Fellow in Philosophy at The University of Western Australia.
- D’Olimpio, L. (1 Dec 2017) Panel moderator and contributor “Why should we teach philosophy and/or ethics in schools?” The 47th Annual Conference for The Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA), Newcastle University, pre-conference panel.
- D’Olimpio, L. (8 July 2017) “Why Should Philosophy be Taught in Schools?” for The Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain (PESGB) Birmingham branch, UK.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2016, Oct) “Philosophy and Ethics in Schools: Community of Inquiry with Dr Laura D’Olimpio” for The University of Newcastle, NSW.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2016, April) “Philosophy in Schools, Narrative and Empathetic Engagement” for The University of Notre Dame Australia, Institute for Ethics and Society, Sydney.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2014, Nov) "Thinking Skills for Everyone" for TedxWorleyParsons, Perth, W.A.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2014, Aug) "Aesthetics and Ethics: Can art be judged as Good or Bad?" for Miik Green Artist's Studio Night, Western Australia. http://www.miikgreen.com/category/studio-night/
- D'Olimpio, L (2013, Aug) "Why we need Philosophy in Schools" for TedxPerth Unplugged, PICA Bar.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2012, July) "When Good Art is Bad: Examining the Moral Value of Narrative Artworks" for UNDA Unit AL381: Experience The World: A Literary Odyssey to London, Bath and Dublin at Cambridge University, UK.
- D'Olimpio, L. (2010, Dec) "The Conditions of Visibility of Artworks and their Affect" for SymbioticA at The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2016, May) “When Good Art is Bad: Film, Moralising and the Critical Viewer.” for Philosophy undergraduates at Murdoch University, Western Australia.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2013, April) “Applied Ethics: Moral Considerations for Scientists” for Honours students in Science at Curtin University, Bentley, Western Australia.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2013 and ’12, Oct) “Climate Change: making Moral Evaluations” for the department of Environment and Agriculture at Curtin University, Bentley, Western Australia.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2010, April) “Thinking Through Film: Philosophy and Film” Philosophy undergraduates, UWA.
- D’Olimpio, L. (2009, Feb) “The Importance of Story” Communication Studies undergraduates, UWA.
- July 2017 Against value in the arts and education. Edited by Sam Ladkin, Robert McKay and Emile Bojesen. (London: Rowman and Littlefield International, 2016). ISBN: 978-1783484904, British Journal of Educational Studies, DOI: 10.1080/00071005.2017.1354535
- May 2016 Philosophy in Schools: An Introduction for Philosophers and Teachers. Sara Goering, Nicholas J. Shudak, & Thomas E. Wartenberg, Eds. (New York: Routledge Research in Contemporary Philosophy Series, Taylor & Francis, 2013) reviewed for the Journal of Philosophy in Schools 3(1). ISSN: 2204-2482.
- Nov 2015 Identity and Personhood: Confusions and Clarifications across Disciplines. Laurance J. Splitter (Singapore: Springer, 2015) reviewed for the Journal of Philosophy in Schools 2(2). ISSN: 2204-2482.
- Oct 2014 Grounds for Respect: Particularism, Universalism and Communal Accountability by Dr Kristi Giselsson (UTAS) reviewed for Research in Ethical Issues in Organizations vol.12. ISSN: 1529-2096. http://aapae.org.au/australian-ethics/conference-edition-of-reio/